I made this for a dinner and not only did the kids ask for more but so did the adults. It's actually kinda fun to make an ice cream cake just the way YOU want it and not to buy one from the store. Plus you know what every thing is that you are putting in it so it must make it a little better for you to eat...right?
You will need
For the crust:
crushed oreo cookies
1 stick butter (1/2 cup)
For the ice cream cake:
2-3 1.5 quart containers of your favorite ice cream flavors
Directions: For the crust
1. Mix the melted butter and crushed oreo cookies. Press on the bottom of a springform pan (I used a 10-inch springform pan) or a cake pan nicely lined with plastic wrap. There should be enough plastic wrap for you to be able to grab and pull out the cake after it’s been frozen.
2. Put the pan in the freezer for about 20 minutes before filling it up with ice cream.
Directions: For the ice cream cake
1. Allow the ice cream to soften in the fridge or on your kitchen counter. This should take about 15 to 20 minutes. You don’t want soupy or melted ice cream. You just want it to be soft and pliable that you can spread it on the pan.
2. Layer the ice cream and spread evenly per flavor on the spring form pan. If you’re using a 10″ spring form pan, you’ll use up all of the 1.5 quarts of ice cream per flavor.
3. Freeze for at least four hours.
4. Take the ice cream cake out of the pan and spread whipped cream (recipe follows) on the top and sides of the cake. Pipe a border on the top and base of the cake.
5. Decorate the top with Oreo cookies or your candy of choice.
6. Be sure to work quickly! Freeze the cake for at least another 4 hours before serving.